God's view

God's view
God's view

Monday, September 22, 2014

Run the Race


As many of my friends and relatives know by now, I am training for a marathon in December. Training began in June with the group from Luke’s Locker in Colleyville. My friend, Cardiologist, and employer, Dr. Wray, encouraged me to join the group. Our conversation around the office has made work days a lot more enjoyable. We joke about our tired legs and snail pace in the Texas summer heat. It’s really been a lot of fun.

Yet it’s such a struggle.

Each day has its own set of challenges. One morning I may pop awake ready to go while other days it is everything I can do to get out of bed. Some runs are energizing while others are draining. My muscles hurt. I’m tired. I’m HUNGRY. It’s hot…so dang hot.

I’ve only been routinely running since the beginning of the year when I trained for Cowtown half marathon in February. It was an amazing experience and accomplishment I will never forget…both a physical and spiritual high. Every time I ran I listened to worship music while lifting hands, praising Jesus, and singing out loud when I felt moved. Jesus fueled me.

Recently I have focused more during my long runs on talking with others getting to know them than on listening to music or praising Jesus.

And I have struggled.

I have felt like a lead weight…heavy…weak. I longed for the lightness and the lift I felt before. Every run drained me and I just didn’t understand. Is it the heat? Is it my diet? Is it stress on my body? Maybe it’s a little of all of those things. Mostly, it’s Jesus.

I set my goals before my God. This isn’t me. This isn’t my style. I’m not a runner first and child of God second. No wonder I was struggling.

This past weekend our group run was a giant 18miles…new territory for this rookie. I heeded the advice of a great friend and runner in regards to preparation. I ate the right things at the right time, got good sleep, and took enough fuel for my run. While all of those things are great, a runner loses confidence when the mental game defeats you. So I armored up by making a playlist of worship and tempo songs. I wasn’t facing Goliath with only a sling shot and a rock…I was bringing Jesus.

And there it was…the confidence and lightness in my Spirit I had been longing for all this time. Jesus had my back, my side, and the path set before me. Some of the runners and I sang and praised Jesus all along those 18 miles. And we were strong. We were uplifted. Praise the name of the Lord.

My encouragement to you is that no matter what your course is today…4 miles or 18… cool weather or hot… uphill resistance or fast… you got this. Set your eyes on Jesus and run the race set before you. Obviously, I am not only talking to runners but to anyone with a struggle today. Whatever the Goliath is in your life…take it to Jesus. With every step and every breath you take praise the name of Jesus. Call on his Spirit power to strengthen you and rebuke all else.

There are so many issues on the daily in my life that trip me up…a mean-spirited coworker, a stubborn child, a scary diagnosis, too many hats to wear and too many tasks to get done. All of this stuff comes along as we race towards the finish…that you can bet on. Living a life in relationship with Christ is not the absence of obstacles…it’s choosing to draw on the strength to overcome them.

He is mighty to save. (Zephaniah 3:17)

And if you’re really lucky, God sends helpers along the run…great friends who speak life and love in truth over you. Friends like Daniel who messages you the day before a long run to help you mentally and physically prepare because he has been down that path before and has learned a thing or two. Friends like Angela who cheers you on from start to finish. Friends who cut you slack when you are hard on yourself. The friends who never judge and always encourage. Friends like Becca who wakes up early with you to run hills or a parking garage. The friends who send you a devotional or scripture verse just because they were thinking of you. The Jesus friends.
 
Oh my soul.

And don’t get me started on my man. He’s a runner’s spouse and that takes a lot of commitment and support. Greg is my biggest fan and greatest supporter. I couldn’t do it with him.

Thank you, Jesus, for your outpouring of blessings. I am undeserving.

Hebrews12:1b-2 And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.